Friday, May 16, 2014

10 Things You May Not Have Known: Part Two

Image courtesy of Cutes Paw
The other day I was scrolling through some of my old blog posts, and stumbled upon one I did a couple months ago. It was called 10 Things You May Not Have Known + Poverty, and it's probably my favorite post on this blog. Since I enjoyed writing it so much, I figured I'd make a part two, so without further ado, here's another set of ten things you may not have known.

1. All US presidents, dead or alive, have worn glasses (just not necessarily in public).
2. Duck's quacks don't echo
3. Switzerland has four official languages: French, German, Italian, and Romansh.
4. Penguin's propose by presenting their partners with a pebble. They also stay together forever.
5. Winston Churchill was born in the women's bathroom.
6. The French allow their people to marry the dead.
7. The world's most practiced religion is Christianity.
8. Obama is left handed (apparently left-handed people are smarter, which makes sense). 
9. A larger percentage of North America is wilderness than Africa. 
10. Coconut oil reduces seizures in children with epilepsy. 

So what's the purpose of all these random facts? No, it's not to bore you to death. Actually, the opposite. 

I want to make the point that everyone is smart in their own way. Some people may know lots of information about penguins. Other people may be really good at understanding people. No matter what, it’s pointless to criticize people for not knowing certain things. I know a fair amount about history and politics (in other words, I’m “book” smart). However, I know next to nothing about horses and texting slang (these are just examples). A couple months ago my friend texted me GTG and I had to Google what it meant (for the record, it means “go to go”). 

However, because I love academia, I do well in school. Majority of my teachers like me (or at least they act like they do). On the other hand, some of the kids in my school know a lot about skiing, but hate academia, so they don’t do as well in school. That doesn’t mean they’re destined to a life of homelessness when they’re older, like the school system thinks. They just learn differently. 

So next time you (or I) call someone “dumb”, think about all of the great things and knowledge you’re not seeing and reconsider. 

Credit:
France Fun Facts

No comments:

Post a Comment